Sunday, March 11, 2012

Zion and Training!





I have been itching to get outside and ride my bike! I have been training through the winter for the upcoming race season and have spent hours on my computrainer. I really needed to get out of the basement. Over Presidents weekend in February we decided to take the family down to Zion...we could hike and I could train...perfect combination! We invited my mom and Dave to go with us as Dave is training for a half ironman as well. Everything was booked in St. George so I looked in Zion. I have no idea how we lucked out, but we ended up staying at the most amazing place! We could have stayed on this ranch and not left the entire weekend and our kids would have been perfectly happy. We stayed in a ranch house at Two Feathers Ranch. It is an awesome ranch that sits on the Virgin River. The home had a loft with a play room and bunk beds for Cambrie and Ethan. The owner and ranch hand happened to be there that weekend and treated us so well! This is what the weekend looked like (I did not want to come back home!!)
We arrived on Friday afternoon and headed straight into Zion to the river walk. We thought we would let the kids run around on the river trail after the long drive down. Zion is one of my most favorite places and I love that it is practically in our backyard! It is so beautiful no matter what time of year!
Saturday I woke up really early and headed into St. George to meet up with some of HT Training athletes for a nice long ride on the Ironman course. I was really nervous because Heath and Mahogani told me I was riding 80 miles...I have never rode over 60!! I was nervous I wouldn't be able to keep up, that my legs wouldn't let me push through the miles...but, surprise...I did it! And I enjoyed every minute of being outside with such a great group of people! This group I went with were hard working, no nonsense, get it done people...my favorite! I felt a little bad leaving everyone back at the ranch, but when Jon picked me up I learned they had just as much fun as I did!! Jon and Dave biked 28 miles to into Zion and back. My mom had the perfect grandma morning with my kids feeding the animals on the ranch, skipping rocks at the river, collecting fresh eggs and cooking them and then eating them on the picnic table outside! I was so happy to hear everyone else had enjoyed themselves as much as I did! I hurried and showered off and we headed back into Zion to hike the Emerald Pools.
Sunday...we woke up to snow! Mother Nature has bipolar at this time of year! We had beautiful weather Saturday and snow on Sunday....crazy! We had breakfast at Oscars...a favorite stop in Springdale. We opted to drive to Mesquite to find more sun and let the kids splash around at the pool. We came back to the ranch and relaxed that evening.
Monday morning I woke up early again to get a run in outside! I ran for just over 7 miles with beautiful scenery around me. It was perfect!
The kids fed the animals one last time and collected eggs one more time. I cannot wait to go back to this amazing ranch!!

No comments: