Tuesday, August 24, 2010

What a Year will do


Disclosure: This blog is one for me to help put myself back into perspective...I hope it also motivates others as they set their own goals. (I have also attached my pictures from Hobblecreek this past weekend...coming in 11th of 191 in my age group, 31 overall female, and 120 overall of 1050 participants. Time of 1:35, average of 7:11)

I have the personality of a competitive, sometimes obsessive person when it comes to sports. I often find myself at these races I participate in getting myself worked up regarding how I will do, if something will go wrong, how hard I will be able to push myself. Recently after a race I sent my results and splits to my triathlon coach with the sentence of "I was hoping for better on the bike and swim." Sometimes I think we loose perspective of how far we have come and what improvements we have made. I was reminded by my ever so wise coach that triathlons are a journey and we need to enjoy them. She reminded me to be patient and allow my body the time that it needs to build the strength and endurance. If we were all perfect at the sport then it would be boring!!

So...it got me thinking about this past year and really what a year will do! It was just last year that I did my first triathlon, that I rode a road bike for the first time. It was just over a year ago that I thought I would never swim in open water. I was terrified to bike up Traverse and more terrified to come down at high speeds. Last year my goal was to run an 8 minute mile...what does it look like now?
I have completed 4 open water triathlons...the last 2 without any panic attacks!! I have also completed an open water ocean swim through the waves.
I have cut 3 minutes off my sprint distance swim...which would be 6 minutes off my Olympic distance.
I have climbed Traverse twice this year, Emmigration Canyon twice, East Canyon, and American Fork Canyon. I have reached 35 MPH on the bike....this is fast on those skinny two wheels!!
My last half marathon averaging 7:11 minute miles..exceeding my goal of an 8 minute mile.

My favorite quote that rattles around in my head by Muhammad Ali:
"Impossible is just a big word thrown around by small men who find it easier to live in the world they've been given than to explore the power they have to change it. Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. Impossible is not a declaration. It's a dare. Impossible is potential. Impossible is temporary. Impossible is nothing."

So, what are my goals for this next year:

1. Complete the National Championship Olympic Triathlon in California to the best of my ability.

2. Qualify for Boston Marathon next year

3. Complete my first Half Ironman in the Spring

3 comments:

Laura said...

Okay, what a great post!! You're so right, why do we sometimes focus on how we wished to have done more or better? It is crazy to think that it was just a year ago you started doing triathlons! You have come SO far, and look how good you are?!

And I KNOW you'll reach all of your goals :)

marissa | Rae Gun Ramblings said...

you are amazing. I have to admit when I read the 35mph my stomach did a little flip gosh that's fast

Mel said...

I want to be like you someday..You are awesome and such an inspiration! Great post!