Sunday, September 7, 2008

Sunday Update







We have had a wonderful few hours with Ethan!! Last night they decided to take him off the C-pap machine. We had a really sweet nurse who was working with him last night, and allowed us to give him his first bath. It was so much fun, although a little difficult. He had an IV in one arm that couldn't be in the water, and his C-pap machine on. So, it took three of us to give him his bath. He was so relaxed and content! He is no longer on any oxygen and his jaundice count has lowered by 5 points! He is just doing wonderful. They will probably be moving him to nursery B tonight, which is a NICU nursery for babies who don't require breathing support. They are also going to let me start working on feedings with him. He is still here at least until Tuesday due to needing the lights and antibiotics, and then it will depend on how he does with feedings.
The nurses and staff here have impressed me so much. They are all so kind and explain everything. Ethan's doctor is completely incredible and very sweet. She has gone the extra mile in working with him. I don't know if I put it in the blog the other day, but the night she told me they were doing a heart ECO, I lost it. It was just one more hit that day and I am a paranoid mom. She drove to the doctor's house that was going to complete the ultrasound and he was here on a Saturday morning to complete it! (Going the extra mile).
I often wonder why this situation has happened with Ethan being full term and no risk factors. I have decided that maybe this situation was meant for me and Jon to learn something. We have been able to put life into perspective and once again evaluate what is most important in our lives.
We are again so grateful for everyone's prayers and supports. I feel so blessed.

4 comments:

Laura said...

I love the pictures! He looks a lot like Jon I think! I'm so glad you've had a good experience with the nurses & doctors -- that makes such a difference. We're really glad that Ethan is improving!!

Gretzbabi said...

You are so special, and your sweet little one is so very beautiful and healthy looking. YOu are blessed to have such wonderful care and to know that all will be well, you of all people know what to do in raising this healthy boy and remember "This too will pass" and you will beable to be with him at home soon. You have great strength and so does your family, remember that you are loved and prayed for always.
Gretchen, Ray and Austin.

marci said...

What a cute boy! You are in our prayers! Please let me know if you need help with Cambrie- we live just around the corner and my kids would love to play with her!

Jo Lynn said...

Amber, he is just so precious! I think he looks like Jon. He is a strong little guy and that's so sweet that he was so calm during his first bath. I'm sure he just treasures the moments of being held by you and Jon. I'm glad to hear he's doing so well. Sounds like Cambrie is well taken care of. Your family is in our prayers!