Friday, September 5, 2008

Ethan Update

Well, today has been a little discouraging and emotional for me. Poor little Ethan had a little setback this morning, which made for a very emotional morning for me. He is back on the C-pap machine which made me very sad. They think his lungs are underdeveloped, and he may have possible pneumonia. They will fully decide the pneumonia thing this evening after another set of chest x-rays. They put him back on the C-pap machine because he was breathing so fast and is breathing more with his stomach then lungs, which makes him work very hard. The c-pap will give him a break, allow him to open his lungs, and produce safracton that helps with lung development. He also has jaundice and is now under lights. So, he has instruments all over his face. Between the C-pap machine and blinders for the lights, you can only see his chin. On the more positive note, he does recognize mom and I am able to soothe him when he cries. I have been able to hold him daily, which helps me keep my sanity. He is still very cute and sweet! His labs this afternoon were also great! The respiratory therapist thinks that he just needs a few days to gain strength and increase his lung development.
The word around the NICU is that Cambrie wanted the name Aladdin. Every nurse we have had asks about it.
We appreciate all the prayers that have been rendered on our behalf. I have been blessed with a wonderful family and friends who have offered large amounts of support during this difficult time. Hopefully, he will be able to come home soon. I will keep you updated as to the progress of our sweet little boy, and will post pictures soon.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Amber - I'm so sad about the set-backs, but am glad to hear that Ethan is still being a trooper -- at least he has a very cute chin!! That's great that you're still getting time to snuggle with your little guy -- I'm sure he knows it's his Mama, and that's what's keeping him calm. We are all praying for you guys. Just let me know what I can do to help out! I'm sure Ethan will be out of there before you know it!

Elizabeth said...

We'll keep you all in our prayers.

Anonymous said...

Amber, We love you and hope that you are hanging in there ok. I hope that Ethan continues to get better and that he can come home soon.We will keep you all in our prayers.